On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 07:41:29AM -0500, jamal wrote:
> > ok - that's fair. I suspect the hyperthreading case is one where
> > binding the IRQs to particule "CPUs" is necessary to reproduce
> > the results.
> >

> Note: I didnt bind anything. The p4/xeon starts with routing everything
> to CPU#0 - i just left it like that. I am taking it this is what you
> were asking for earlier?

Yes. In general, one gets better cache utilization when binding
IRQs to a single CPU and often translates into better overall
performance. It's also useful for benchmarking - reproducible results.

> > > One could draw the conclusion that copybreak is good or prefetch is bad.
> >
> > Like Robert, I conclude that both helped in this case.
>
> eh? Are we looking at the same results? Robert's conclusion: copybreak
> _bad_, _some_ prefetch good.

Robert commented on *your* results - I only agreed with him.

> Mine so far is inconclusive although one
> could almost say copybreak good - which is the opposite of what Robert
> concluded.

Yes - his results indicated copybreak hurt perf on the AMD box.
Another reason for the e1000 maintainer to enable copybreak. ;)

grant