On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 00:07 +0100, Aritz Bastida wrote:

> > >    rx_threshold_hit
> > Rx max coalescing frames threshold hit.
>
> Well, I didn't understand what is this threshold for

This counter counts the number of times rx packets have reached the "max
rx coalesced frames" setting before an interrupt is generated. By
default, the max rx coalesced frames is set to 6 which means that the
chip will try to wait until 6 packets are received before generating an
interrupt. Interrupt coalescing in addition to NAPI under heavy traffic
may further increase throughput.

> I'm running Linux kernel 2.6.13 and tg3 version 3.37, so should be new
> enough.

Newer versions have fancy prefetch added, a spinlock removed from the rx
path, and an optimization in the use of the status tag. All these may
allow you to receive a few more packets.

> I dont know how to verify if the NIC is in a PCIX bus. How can
> I check that? Running lspci I can see there are some PCIX bridges:

tg3's probing output will print the bus the device is in. You can also
run "lspci -vvv" to find out.