From: Robert Olsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:54:13 +0100

>  An new driver entry point? And can we increase skb->users to delay
>  skb destruction until the driver got the indication back?
>  So the driver will do the final kfree and not in the protocol layers
>  as now?  This to avoid massive code changes.
>
>  Thoughts?

I think a new variant of netif_receive_skb() might be needed....  or
maybe not.  I don't see a need for a new ->poll() for example.

On the other hand, nobody checks the return value from
netif_receive_skb().  This would have been a nice avenue
were it not for the SKB refcounting, but I think we could
work around that by making the driver grab the extra reference
count before it invokes netif_receive_skb().

I even think you are hinting at exactly this :)