I am trying to integrate the IXP4xx NPE ethernet support into the linux kernel
(2.6).

Before you start, I know of the license problems with the IXP4xx software. We
have a version of the Intel IXP4xx access-library licensed under the revised
BSD license. So we should (hopefully) be able to integrate the software into
the linux kernel.

The main question I have is, where should the IXP4xx access-library be located
in the kernel directory structure? It's a pretty big piece of software. One
idea is to use "arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/accesslib" and place all files under
this directory (since I don't want to "pollute" the drivers/net directory
with this stuff). The NPE ethernet driver itself should of course be placed
in drivers/net. Any other suggestions or remarks?

Please comment on this and let me know if such an effort has any chance of
getting accepted into the official kernel.

Best regards,
Stefan