On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:39:31 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> WDS appears to work between APs..but I want to bridge wifi clients to wired
> clients.
>
> The network would be something like:
>
> wired-server -- AP {{{wireless}}} virtual-station-emulator -- { multiple
> wired machines }

wired-server -- AP {{{WDS}}} AP -- { multiple wired machines }

No problem at all :-)

> The idea is to have the wired machines talk wired ethernet through the AP
> without
> knowing or caring that wifi is being used.  The AP will also be ignorant,
> thinking
> that multiple wireless devices are talking to it (ie, the
> virtual-station-emulator
> has multiple different wireless client interfaces configured in it.)

Only if you don't mind that you are limited by maximal number of APs your
device is capable to connect to.

> The end result is a wireless station emulator that can easily be made to pass
> interesting traffic generated on common hardware/platforms.  It should be
> useful
> for testing APs and AP deployments, including things like VOIP over wifi.

Ok, I can see the benefit from this for testing purposes. But then you
don't need those wired machines, packets can be generated locally at
your "virtual station emulator" and you need no hacks.

--
Jiri Benc
SUSE Labs