Jouni Malinen schrieb:
> [...] that scary comment is there
> on purpose and it is not fully obsolete. It is still possible to get
> HFA3841 cards into state which require hardware modifications to recover
> from (i.e., they are as good as dead for most users). Taken into this
> account, I would prefer that the help text for HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM
> would include a warning about the potential issues of using incorrect
> firmware images. In most cases, RAM (volatile) download can be used to
> upgrade the firmware without having to modify the flash contents. This
> is also what the current Windows drivers are doing.

What about doing it in two steps (first RAM then FLASH)?

        1. RAM download
        2. Verify that the device works as expected and uses the new firmware
        3a. Verifcation ok -> download firmware to FLASH
        3b. Verifcation failed -> Tell user, reset device and use old firmware
from FLASH

Is this possible or too simple to be true?

Regards

Ingo Oeser