Hi,

so, can we agree on this:

a)we want to distinguish between physical devices and virtual devices.
Physical devices represent a network card, virtual devices a function based
on the card (access point, sta, ...). Some cards can handle multiple
functions parallel, we support it this way.

Caveats:
-rfmon can affect all virtual devices as Mike pointed out
-As a matter of fact, virtual devices are not independant eveb without rfmon,
simply because one physical device can only tune to one channel at a time

Question:

-Which link type should be used by the virtual device? Is it easier to change
all protocols to support 802.11 frames or is ethernet emulation mode
simplest?
-If we use 802.11 natively, should we always tack on radiotap headers?

b)we want to replace the wireless extension ioctl()s with netlink so we have
the possibility to change multiple config items at once

Questions:
-what happens to iwpriv?
-where are the netlink messages/wireless extensions handled? Should the device
driver forward into the stack, or should the stack call into the device
driver?

c)which stack to use? Actually, it's intel vs. devicescape. I'm about to port
the driver of a popular card to devicescape to get a personal opinion.

I think we should start discussing a), beginning with b) when we have answered
most questions concerning a).

Thoughts?

Stefan