On Sun, 2006-08-01 at 20:34 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
> > Maybe no need to worry about both situations for now, i will resubmit
> > the patch without worrying about NET_XMIT_DROP.
>
> Looking at it again, I think you should not change the existing return
> code but just use NET_XMIT_BYPASS for the TC_ACT_SHOT (TC_POLICE_SHOT)
> case. Otherwise you will also return it if the packet couldn't be
> classified or for other errors.

All those at the moment mean policy decision is what decided the drop.
So the same return code is fair.

> > But imagine that mirred action is applied to a device at the moment when
> > the device is down you want the reaction to that to be different
> > from when mirred steals the packet because the device is up. I think at
> > some point a big surgery on the return path and associated error path is
> > needed.
>
> Handling that would be possible now by returning something other than
> TC_ACT_STOLEN from the mirred action, no?

It gets quiet complex when you start having multiple redirects
i.e redirect from device a -> device b --> device c -> ....
As they are right now this is safer.
I think lets just leave it to that simple change i just submitted for
now and later revisit the error path. Let me know if you are having
different thoughts - I am gonna take a long break now.

cheers,
jamal