> > I don't know if the solution to this is a warning, marking non-rfmon
> > virtual interfaces down, or just saying "they'll figure it out", but I
> > figured it's worth considering at an early stage.
>
> I think the solution lies with the driver: It just doesn't allow
> creating an rfmon virtual interface if that was going to break the other
> interfaces, so to get one you have to remove the others (and obviously
> that tells you that you can't do that during operation)

I don't think that I really agree with that.  I don't, as a user or as a
programmer, want to unconfigure all my existing stuff just to drop into
rfmon for a few minutes.  I'd definitely prefer that they stop working,
than have to remember what all my virtual interfaces were and recreate
them.

I know this sort of contradicts my original point, but I think we should
find the least-disruptive most-obvious method for making the rfmon
device.

I want my cake, and to eat it too. :P

-m

--
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"Dear Die-ary,
    Today I stuffed some dolls with dead rats I put in a blender.
    I'm beginning to wonder if, maybe, I really am screwed up."
                   -- Johnny C. (JtHM)