On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:11:23 +0100, Stefan Rompf wrote:
> to evaluate the Devicescape stack, I started porting the ipw2100 driver to
> it.
> However I do have one major problem. At least the snapshort from January 2nd
> does not seem to support devices that do scanning and associating controlled
> by firmware.
>
> Is this assumptions right, and if so, will it be changed and what help will
> you need to do it?

Yes, it's right. I was thinking about adding callbacks to ieee80211_hw
which (if non-NULL) will be used instead of default ("softmac")
handling. Something like start_scan()/stop_scan() together with
ieee80211_add_network(). Similarly for association etc.

Communication with userspace AP daemon needs to be changed anyway, so
there is no problem with adding these callbacks.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do this right now as there are other
issues that should be addressed first - like the overall concept of
using net_devices. If you write some patches, I will really appreciate
it.

> It would be bad to end up with one stack for dumb devices (that by the way,
> do
> have their advantages like multiple associations controlled by the stack) and
> one for cards with firmware.

Agreed.

Thanks,

--