Ulrich Kunitz wrote:
just to add something about the website, the list about the
devices with the chip was very useful. It helped me to buy an
additional dongle for development.

Don't thank me! I have very little involvement with that site, we just requested a SVN tree there. A fairly big community has built around that site and should provide sufficient testing of a rewrite driver when we are ready :)

The other ZD1211 is inside my
Shuttle and the Zydas driver didn't work at 64 bit.

*inside* your shuttle? Does that mean it is the PCI version as opposed to the USB one? Or does it still sit on the USB bus?

I feel it is quite right for the task to understand the chip and
getting an idea, what is going on. If that would not be a problem,
I would not be so explicit. You could discuss for instance the
wrapper functions for register accesses.

We can always simplify things in the future. I have also noticed the vendor driver doing a lot more than it needs to, trying to support multiple configurations, etc.

Maybe my notes_zd1211.txt could help a little bit and zd_chip.h
might also give some ideas.

Indeed, that has been helpful - thanks! The whole RF stuff is quite confusing to me at this stage and I'm glad you have managed to partially figure it out.

I agree that the firmware load sequence is strange, TOD has code
which seems to support a kind of auto-address mode, I implemented
it and it didn't work.

The sequence described in the ZD1211 docs is unimplementable. If you look on the diagram shown on the page labelled as 10, it describes a 'DownloadData' control command. However that control command is not mentioned anywhere else in the document, so we have no idea what the values for type/id/value/index should be.

Moving on from here, I think we should move to your code as a base. It won't take long to merge anything useful from my work (if there is anything at all).

I don't have much experience with git but would be happy to learn it (would it be possible to set up a gitweb interface in that case?). Alternatively we could move to svn on zd1211.ath.cx.

What do you think?

It would also be useful to confirm that our initial aims are similar:
- Keep the driver simple for ease of inclusion
- Don't support AP mode yet (can be added later)
- Don't support ZD1211B yet (can be added later)
- Don't support ZD1211 PCI (can be added if they ever appear on the market)
- Use (and fix) whatever wireless stack is in-kernel

Daniel