The example you provide is not affected since it will
be given the default 3 band and 1:3 is valid.

Where it matters is when you say something like:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: prio bands X

where X is not 3.

In such a case the map for the priority will be the default priomap to
3 queues only.
This is wrong when you have only 2 queues and according to me inaccurate
policy when you have > 3 queues.
This later point is the contention. I don't think i can convince
Patrick neither he will convince me - so you be the tie breaker;->

cheers,
jamal