jamal wrote:
On Wed, 2006-18-01 at 16:13 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

shemminger wrote:

It makes no sense to extend ethtool for something generic like that.
It shouldn't be that hard to do netlink in some richer scripting
language (like perl), but I haven't tried.

If you're using perl, you've already given up performance, so just
parse /proc/net/dev.

I implemented my patch to more efficiently (and easily) grab the stats for 250
interfaces every few seconds.

And if you are serious about performance you should use netlink.

If you can show me a snippet of user-space code similar to the
complexity of what I posted earlier, I'll actually do a benchmark
against it and my code to see if they are roughly equal.  If so, I'll
purge this from my patch set and never bother anyone with it again...

On the other hand, if it requires hard to find and/or half-assed libraries
and lots of code, don't bother.

Thanks,
Ben

--