All,

This note is just to let you know what is going-on w/ the wireless-2.6
tree, now available here:

        git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-2.6.git

You may have seen the pull requests I have sent to Jeff Garzik.
I am actively merging patches for the code already in the upstream
kernel.  I then make them available for Jeff on the "upstream-jgarzik"
branch, and I also pull from that branch into the "master" branch.
The difference between those two branches is that I pull from
Linus' kernel into the "master" branch as well, while I leave the
"upstream-jgarzik" branch alone until Jeff gets it.

I still have a number of other branches in the wireless-2.6 tree.
I am using those branches to collect out of stream drivers and
developments such as the softmac code and the alternative 802.11
stack from Devicescape.

I have renamed the "softmac" and "dscape" branches as "softmac-all"
and "dscape-all", mostly because I just liked those names better.
I have redone the "dscape-upstream" and "dscape-all" branches to
reflect Jiri's work in reforming his patches to allow the Devicescape
stack to coexist with the existing stack in a single kernel tree.

Finally, given that ieee80211+softmac and d80211 (aka Devicescape)
can now live in the same tree, I have created a new "domesday" branch
that includes all of the work from the other branches.  This branch
is not intended for upstream.  Its purpose is to collect as much of
the existing wireless work as possible in one place to ensure that we
are all "on the same page" about what is available, how it works, etc.
I think it is important to conduct this "Domesday census" to ensure we
have all the information before making long-term 802.11-stack decisions
(especially which one to use on a permanent basis).  It is still a work
in progress, as are some of the drivers I have included in the branch.
It is certainly not for production use...

For those who want to see the current state of things:

        git clone
        git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-2.6.git
        wireless-2.6 cd wireless-2.6 git checkout -f domesday

If you plan to have an opinion about the wireless direction decisions
coming "soon", I implore you to take a look at the code _now_.

Thanks,

John

P.S.  If you have patches for the code on the domesday branch but
not yet upstream, I'll be happy to take those too...
--
John W. Linville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]