On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 09:19:02PM +0100, Mathieu Geli wrote:

> Here is a patch that add a netlink virtual interface.

I really like the possibility that it offers.  In fact, I always wanted
something like a 'promiscuous netlink socket'.

Whether it is the right thing to add a full-blown net_device for it, I
don't know.  This really only is a kludge for scapy/ethereal/whatever,
since they just expect tu use network interfaces and AF_PACKET sockets.

The question is whether we should introduce a net_device to work around
scapy/ethereal limitations - or whether we'd rather have some different
interface.

I would like to hear comments from Dave, Jamal, Thomas Graf, Patrick
McHardy on this...

btw: There seem to be a number of coding style and whitespace issue in
your patch.  Please make sure you follow Documentation/CodingStyle as
closely as possible.

> Dissectors are being developed for scapy [1] at the moment.

please note that a number of netlink related data structures are host
endian, and others are network endian, where again others are mixed
host/network endian.  This can create soem headache while writing
dissectors ;)

--
- Harald Welte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                      http://gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)