From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:12:14 -0800

> The bigger problem I see is scalability.  All those mmap rings have to
> be pinned in memory to be useful. It's fine for a single smart application
> per server environment, but in real world with many dumb thread monster
> applications on a single server it will be really hard to get working.

This is no different from when the thread blocks and the receive queue
fills up, and in order to absorb scheduling latency.  We already lock
memory into the kernel for socket buffer memory as it is.  At least
the mmap() ring buffer method is optimized and won't have all of the
overhead for struct sk_buff and friends.  So we have the potential to
lock down less memory not more.

This is just like when we started using BK or GIT for source
management, everyone was against it and looking for holes while they
tried to wrap their brains around the new concepts and ideas.  I guess
it will take a while for people to understand all this new stuff, but
we'll get there.