Rick Jones wrote:
I haven't been able to get a TCP connection to saturate a 1Gbps link
in both directions simultaneously.  I *have* been able to fully saturate
2 pro/1000 NICs on the same machine using pktgen, so the NIC/driver can
support it if only TCP can run fast enough...

It isn't quite saturating, but:

I wrote a small tool that does very little other than full-duplex (on a single
socket)
non-blocking IO.  I have this running between one machine with dual 3.4
Xeons and another machine with dual 2.8Ghz Xeons.  The busses are at least
PCI-X 64/100Mhz, and I'm using the 10Gbe NICs from Chelsio.  MTU is 1500.

With 64k read/write sizes, 8M send/rcv socket buffers, I am sustaining
about 1.37Gbps in both directions (counting ethernet overhead,
the rate is about 1.41Gbps in both directions.)

So, full GigE should be possible with GigE NICs as well...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>