On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:05 +0000, Mike Crowe wrote:

> Perhaps this new problem is unrelated. I shall try and reproduce
> it. Is there anything I should try when the interface is locked up to
> help?

1. Run ethtool -d eth? > <tmp_file> before you get a NETDEV WATCHDOG
timeout and before you do ifdown. Please send me the output.

2. Check /proc/interrupts to see if the device is still generating
interrupts. You can send some packets to it or disconnect the network
cable to generate interrupts.

3. Run ethtool -S eth? to see if there are any errors.

Did this setup use to work before?