On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 18:48, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 08:31, Greg Banks wrote:
>
> > [...]SGI's solution is do is ship a script that uses ethtool
> > at boot to tune rx-usecs, rx-frames, rx-usecs-irq, rx-frames-irq
> > up from the defaults.
>
> All user tuning like this is bad. The stack should all do that automatically.

That would be nice ;-)

> Would there be a drawback of making these
> settings default?

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, applications which
are latency-sensitive will suffer.

For example, SGI sells a clustered filesystem where overall performance
is sensitive to the RTT of intra-cluster RPCs, to which receive latency
due to NIC interrupt mitigation is a significant factor.  The NICs which
run that traffic need to be using minimum mitigation, but the NICs which
run NFS traffic need to be using maximum mitigation.

> > This helps a lot, and we're very grateful ;-)   But a scheme
> > which used the interrupt mitigation hardware dynamically based on
> > load could reduce the irq rate and CPU usage even further without
> > compromising latency at low load.
>
> If you know what's needed perhaps you could investigate it?

Maybe, in a couple of months when I've the time.

> You mean the 64k limit?

Exactly.  Currently the NFS server is limited to a 32K blocksize
so the largest RPC reply size is about 33K.  However the NFS client
in Linus' tree, and other OS's NFS servers, have much larger limits.
A value of about 1.001 MiB would probably be best.  The next SGI
Linux NFS server release will probably include a patch to increase
the maximum blocksize on TCP to 1MiB.

> > Cool.  Wouldn't it mean rewriting the nontrivial qdiscs?
>
> It had some compat code that just split up the lists - same
> for netfilter. And only an implementation for pfifo_fast.

Ok by me, in practice our servers only ever use pfifo.

> (Don't ask for code - it's not really in an usable state)

Sure.  I'm looking forward to it.

Greg.
--
Greg Banks, R&D Software Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
I don't speak for SGI.