Hi,

Am Freitag 17 Februar 2006 20:39 schrieb Simon Barber:

> In 802.11 networks when connecting to a new AP on the same networks
> (same SSID & security settings) you typically don't have to do DHCP
> again - but with some networks setups you do. In order to detect this,
> when connecting to a new AP always issue an ARP request for the default
> gateway - if you don't get a response, then kick off a dhcp request.

I've just implemented the feature. As the client does not know the specific
wireless settings, I've chosen this approach to verify the IP address:

-downtime must be lower than 60 seconds
-T1 (RENEWal time) has not passed yet
-IP address of default gateway is ARP probed and must answer with the known
MAC address of the default gateway. Maximum 3 (is configurable) tries with .5
sec delay.

If any of this fails, the client tries to verify the IP address via DHCP for
four seconds, then drops IP configuration and restarts if it is NAKed or not
answered.

Got to do more tests of course, but this sounds like a workable solution to
me.

Jamal: Your idea of influencing the statemachine from the called scripts
hasn't been forgotten, but a communication channel from script to daemon must
be well designed and there is still too much other stuff on my todo list.

Stefan

<shameless readvertisement>
http://www.flamewarmaster.de/software/dhcpclient/
</shameless readvertisement>