Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:54:10 +0100, Matthias Mueller wrote:
>
>>while testing the rt2x00 driver, I found the following inconsistency
>>(don't know wether this is considered a bug).
>>If you already have a netdevice named wlan0, but no corresponding
>>wlan0.11 or wlan0ap device, you'll get the following devices while using
>>the dscape 802.11 stack:
>>
>>wlan1, wlan0ap and wlan0.11
>>
>>I would have expected wlan1, wlan1ap and wlan1.11.
>>
>>The following patch fixes this inconsistency, but I'm not sure about the
>>side effects this patch could have.
>

> It won't work if you already have wlan1ap device.

Ok, missed that one. Probably not easy to fix it, so that ne numbering
is consistent.

> The correct solution is to get rid of wlan0ap and wlan0 devices - they
> are not necessary when the stack is a part of the kernel. But it will
> take some time - expect first series of patches soon.

Good to hear. Playing around with current wlan drivers is a little bit
frustrating if you want to use wpa. Hopefully a kernel 802.11 stack will
solve this in the long term.

Matthias

--
Matthias Mueller, Rechenzentrum Universitaet Karlsruhe
Netzdienste und Netzwerkmanagement