On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:07:26PM +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:49:46 -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > The reason for this optimization was in even high-end CPUs starting to
> > run out of resources when running one radio with 2007 "virtual STAs",

> Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'm afraid that hard-wired need for STA
> interfaces to have incremental MAC addresses is not acceptable - and
> this fact alone means degrading of performance in case of 2000+ STAs.

Since this is not needed for most normal use cases, this is probably
fine. However, being able to test with large number of STAs is very
useful test case for AP functionality (number of APs crash if you try to
associate that many STAs..) and performance. One approach could be to
add a hash table for address to netdev mapping. If that is not easily
doable, a (hopefully) small patch could of course be maintained
separately, but I would prefer to see this operation mode as something
that is supported in the stack by default.