From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:24:22 -0800

> I have gotten massive strace's and the java VM is:
>     1) Turning on TCP_NODELAY
>     2) Sending small packets.

Java is doing the wrong thing, obviously.

> 4) Fix java

And this is the only reasonable recourse.

You cannot turn on TCP_NODELAY and expect good performance
when sending out small packets.  You are asking for low
latency and no delaying of packets in order to allow larger
ones to accumulate.

The kernel is doing exactly what Java is asking it to do.

In fact I consider the new behavior of the kernel a bug fix.