This came up with java debugging already.

Interesting how this has come-up a second time isn't it.

The problem is when the sender writes a message in separate write()
system calls, each one becomes a separate packet.

And indeed, that is doubleplusungood and should be fixed in the application.

In 2.6.15 we do a new thing called Appropriate Byte
Count and that penalizes stupid applications, but provides better fairness
over the internet by accounting for packets better.

I'm still not convinced that the mapping of the byte-based cwnd increase to the packet-based cwnd of the stack is happines and joy.

rick jones