On Mon Mar 14, 2006, Christopher Hellwig wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:25:08PM -0800, Zach Brown wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm hearing noise about the 'Extended Sockets' API in Oracle.  It's an
>> extension to the socket API put together by an industry group that calls
>> itself the Interconnect Software Consortium and is working in
>> partnership with the open group.  The API adds support for things like
>> memory registration, async operations completed through event queues,
>> "standard" sendfile() and async poll(), etc.
>
>It's a new bullshit standard from the crackmonkeyes at the opengroups
>interconnect working group that already tried to push idiocies like RNICPI
>onto us.  I already told them that they're on crack but they don't care.
>It's never going to appear in Linux.

ES-API has relatively little to do with memory registration or the RDMA world view per se. It is primarily a generic API for performing asynchronous socket I/O with completion notifications. Considering there are no other cross platform standards for asynchronous socket operations, ES-API is rather unlikely to go away. Of course ES-API is a user level API, not a kernel level API. "Linux" does not have to implement it at all for there to be working, generic (no hardware required) Linux ES-API implemenations. All that is needed is a working syscall interface for asynchronous socket operations, such as an extension of io_submit / io_getevents to do asynchronous connect(), shutdown(), sendmsg(), recvmsg(), setsockopt(), and getsocktopt() operations. A library could easily translate ES-API calls in the same manner as glibc translates POSIX API calls.

- Mark B.