On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 14:39 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Back to the original question...
>
> What should the iproute2 utilities contain?
>
> Does it have to have the utsname hack to work?

Hi Stephen,

I think the resolution was:

  - No to the utsname hack.  Ergo the "tc" sample clause
    won't work on 2.4.

    Maybe "tc" using ustname to check the kernel version and
    print out a warning / error if "sample" is used on 2.4
    is acceptable?  I regard failing silently and producing
    incorrect results as a terrible thing to do to.  I could
    produce another patch if this is OK.

  - Put the 2.6 hash algorithm in "tc".  That is what my
    previous patch did.  Jamal didn't like the patch
    description though.  Perhaps he would prefer something
    along the lines of "Changed u32 hashing algorithm used
    by the 'sample clause' to the 2.6 kernel algorithm.
    Currently its uses the 2.4 algorithm, which computes the
    wrong result under some circumstances on 2.6 kernels.
    This means tc sample will no longer work on 2.4."