On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:20:26 -0600, Saurabh Jain wrote:

   Hi All, I am trying to write a new rate based transport protocol in
   linux kernel (either as a module or directly within the kernel).
   Basically it would be similar to UDP but with features like dynamic
   rate control, connection and state management, error control like
   TCP. Is there any established framework which i can use? I know
   there is one for window based protocols like TCP where one can
   dynamically register different congestion control mechanisms. I
   would appreciate if somebody can give me some direction in this regard.

I do not know what you have in mind, but a general facility to transmit a series of packets at spaced intervals would be very useful to compensate for ack compression, etc. Preferably a facility simple enough to be trivially offloaded to hardware. TSO/LSO hardware could certainly use something similar for spacing segments, so breaking sends over a size (c.f. sysctl_tcp_tso_win_divisor) manually would not be necessary. In software one might implement this as an alternative queueing discipline at layer two. The minimum spacing interval could be obtained from a route attribute similar to RTAX_ADVMSS. Alternatively, a transport protocol might calculate the nominal transmission spacing as the RTT divided by the congestion window size in packets and run or share a similar transmission scheduler at layer 4.

- Mark B.