On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:16:04PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> fixed it.  Active scanning has been out of vogue as the default scan
> method for like 2 years with wireless-tools/WE, I'm not sure why softmac
> thinks it should be different here.  Active scanning takes more power
> anyway, since you have to power up the card to transmit the probe
> requests.  That's why wireless-tools and Wireless Extensions switched to
> passive scanning.

Can you please point to some documentation/email thread/etc. describing
this preference to use passive scanning? I was not aware of such a
preference and have assumed that active scanning would be the preferred
default because it is quite a bit faster and provides more complete
results.

> I'd have issues with softmac doing active scanning unless _specifically_
> requested to do so, by using the SIOCGIWMLME with a iw_scan_req
> structure requesting IW_SCAN_TYPE_ACTIVE.  But _only_ then...   Normal
> SIOCGIWSCAN shouldn't do active scanning.

SIOCGIWSCAN does not request scanning, SIOCSIWSCAN does.. I don't
understand what SIOCGIWMLME would have to do with this. SIOCSIWSCAN can
use an optional iw_scan_req to control scan request. If this data is not
present, I would assume that the drivers would do whatever they want and
in many cases I would expect this to be active scan.