On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:49:31PM -0500, jamal wrote:

> > The RFC seems to talk about sender IP address instead though...
>
> my understanding: the sender is trying to claim that IP and is setting
> the destination to the IP it is trying to claim and see if someone
> responds.

Are you sure? I read this from Section 2.5:

   All ARP packets (*replies* as well as requests) that contain a Link-
   Local 'sender IP address' MUST be sent using link-layer broadcast
   instead of link-layer unicast.  This aids timely detection of
   duplicate addresses.  An example illustrating how this helps is given
   in Section 4.

And Section 4 says:

   Sending ARP replies that have IPv4 Link-Local sender addresses via
   broadcast instead of unicast ensures that these conflicts can be
   detected as soon as they become potential problems, but no sooner.
   For example, if two disjoint network links are joined, where hosts A
   and B have both configured the same Link-Local address, X, they can
   remain in this state until A, B or some other host attempts to
   initiate communication.  If some other host C now sends an ARP
   request for address X, and hosts A and B were to both reply with
   conventional unicast ARP replies, then host C might be confused, but
   A and B still wouldn't know there is a problem because neither would
   have seen the other's packet.  Sending these replies via broadcast
   allows A and B to see each other's conflicting ARP packets and
   respond accordingly.

So it is clear to me that the idea is that the conflictee will see the
broadcast from the conflicter bearing the conflicter's source IP address
which is in the 169.254/16 network.

The destination IP on the other hand can be anywhere.

BTW, I like your idea of moving STP to user-space.  In fact I think we
can extend it to move ARP to user-space as well.  Hopefully when we have
proper xfrm resolution queueing it will be a template that we can reuse
for all cases where we need user-space help to determine the fate of
packet in kernel-space.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>