On Fri, 2006-31-03 at 21:21 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> jamal wrote:

[..]
> >I think thats a fine trade-off. The advantage of putting it in user
> >space is its a lot easier to add newer features. The current STP - by
> >virtue of being in the kernel - is missing a lot of newer developments.
> >

> There already exists a version of the new RSTP done on old version
> of 2.4. It looks easier and better to just fix that and bring it up to date.

It's a lot more than just RSTP or multi-RTSP or port-fast etc. I have
lost track of the gazillion flavors/tweaks that CISCO alone puts out
(most of which do sound reasonably useful). This is always the problem
woith control protocols - they tend to be very feature rich over shorter
periods of time.
Again, i do believe we would have most if not all if things were not in
the kernel.

> The problem is you can't have a user space application lock the kernel.
> But you can have a kernel thread grab a lock.

ok; but why do you need to lock the kernel any differently than what we
do to add/delete a classifier rule? The main thing you want to control
in the kernel is the state transition after user space computes the tree
behavior.

cheers,
jamal