Harald Welte wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:40:05PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>
>>I think this is too early, none of the distributions seem to have
>>picked up the compat library already. I believe (not sure, Harald?)
>>that it requires at least recompilation of programs using libipq,
>>so the 6 month period seems too short.
>

> Yes, apparently the distro's don't seem to be picking up the new
> userspace libraries.  The question is, however, whether any further
> delay really is the right motivation for them to pick them up soon ;)
>
> Maybe we should add a printk ('app foo is using obsolete ip_queue
> system').

Good idea, that will probably help speed it up. But I still think
we need to give them at least another six month.

>>It also appears the compat library won't work on older system,
>
> could you elaborate on that?

What I meant was that the compat library only works with
nfnetlink_queue, so if we remove ipq, there is no way for
an application to work on old and new kernels. Since it
uses the old symbols an application can't even use both
libraries.

I think we need to do two things:

- make libipq_compat a drop-in replacement that doesn't require
  recompilation
- make it work with both ipq and nfnetlink_queue