Hi Jiri,

On 18.04.2016 17:47, Jiri Pirko wrote:
Proposed solutions (ideas):
1) per-netns. Add a procfs file:
        /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/fib_offload_error_policy
          with values: "evict" - default, current behaviour
                        "fail" - propagate offload error to user
        The policy value would be stored in struct net.

2) per-VRF/table
        When user creates a VRF master, he specifies a table ID
        this VRF is going to use. I propose to extend this so
        he can pass a policy ("evict"/"fail").
        The policy value would be stored in struct fib_table or
        struct fib6_table. The problem is that vfr only saves
        table ID, allocates dst but does not actually create
        table. That might be created later. But I think this
        could be resolved.

3) per-VFR/master_netdev
        In this case, the policy would be also set during
        the creation of VFR master. From user perspective,
        this looks same as 2)
        The policy value would be stored in struct net_vrf (vrf private).

I agree that a fail policy is probably the way forward regarding the issues you outlined.

One question though:

Shouldn't the policy by an attribute of the switch, e.g. configurable by devlink (maybe also not the right place)? Not sure how user space can otherwise make correct assumptions about the state of the switch and initiate proper countermeasures (e.g. reducing the smallest prefix length installed to hardware).

Bye,
Hannes