For the "everything old is new again" files, back in the 1990s, it was noticed that on the likes of a netperf UDP_STREAM test on HP-UX, with fragmentation taking place, it was possible to consume 100% of the link bandwidth and have 0% effective throughput because the transmit queue was kept full with IP datagram fragments which could not possibly be reassembled (*) because one or more of the fragments of a datagram were dropped because the transmit queue was full.

HP-UX implemented "packet trains" where all the fragments of a fragmented datagram were presented to the driver, which then either queued them all, or none of them.

I don't recall seeing similar poor behaviour in Linux; I would have assumed that the intra-stack flow-control "took care" of it. Perhaps there is something specific to wpan which precludes that?

happy benchmarking,

rick jones