On Sun, 8 May 2016, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > Would a patch that maps 0 to 'no coalescing' be acceptable? That is:
> >
> > rx-usecs = 0 -> coalescing disabled.
> > rx-usecs = 1 -> default (chosen by the device).
> > rx-usecs = 2 -> adaptive coalescing.
> > rx-usecs = 3 -> static coalescing.
>
> I still don't like it much.  For the 3 special values (0 isn't really
> special):
>
> 1 = default: When the driver sets the virtual device to this mode, can it
> then read back what the actual settings are, or are they hidden?  If it can,
> then userland can also read the defaults and explicitly return to them later.
>  But I do see the usefulness of an explicit request to reset to defaults.
>
> 2 = adaptive coalescing: There are already fields to request adaptive
> coalescing; you should support them.
>
> 3 = static coalescing: I don't understand what this means.

static refers to the number of packets to batch before raising an
interrupt - which maps to existing tx_max_coaleced_frames.

Have sent out v2 of the patch that no longer uses special values of
rx-usecs to distinguish between the coalescing modes. Existing
ethtool_coalesce fields are used as appropriate instead.

In v2, driver can no longer issue "revert to defaults" command
(think such a mechanism might be useful addition but belongs to ethtool
framework).

Thanks,
Shri