David S. Miller wrote:

> I personally think allowing sockets to trump firewall rules
> is an acceptable relaxation of the rules in order to simplify
> the implementation.

I agree.  I have never seen a set of netfilter rules that
would block arbitrary packets *within* an established connection.

Technically you can create such rules, but every single set
of rules actually deployed that I have ever seen started with
a rule to pass all packets for established connections, and
then proceeded to control which connections could be initiated
or accepted.