On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
"David S. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:55:39 +0400
>
> > On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 10:41:18AM -0700, Stephen Hemminger ([EMAIL
> > PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > Second, introducing
> > > kevents, seems unnecessary and hasn't been accepted in the mainline.
> >
> > kevent was never sent to lkml@ although it showed over 40% win over epoll
> > for
> > test web server. Sending it to lkml@ is just jumping into ... not into
> > technical world, so I posted it first here, but without much attention
> > though.
>
> Frankly I found kevents to be a very strong idea.

But there is this huge semantic overload of kevent, poll, epoll, aio,
regular sendmsg/recv, posix aio, etc.

Perhaps a clean break with the socket interface is needed. Otherwise, there
are nasty complications with applications that mix old socket calls and new
interface
on the same connection.