From: Phil Sutter
> Sent: 23 June 2016 18:34
>
> This is v3 of my C99-style initializer related patch series.

It would be interesting to know how this affect the kernel code size?

While gcc will generate a memset() call for 'struct foo = {0}' if you
initialise some members it might generate explicit zeroing instructions
for all the other words of the structure.

I've seen gcc use memset() to zero the end of a structure, it may use
memset() for large gaps earlier in the structure.

But if you initialise a byte half way down you are very unlikely to
get a single memset() and then a write to the single location.

        David