On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I observed a 1-2 sec stalling behaviour for the complete system every
10 seconds or so _seemingly_ only when my ADSL connection was up.

I had that idea too, but that sounds different from what I have here. I have also transfered lots of data at >900 MBits/s with the e1000 and never had a single problem. The packets are not vanishing on the wire and the system does not stall, there's just nothing appearing on ppp0 tx at all. That sounds like an unrelated issue to me. BTW, there was no dropout in the last 8 hours, only after I started some tx load a while ago one of them came up within minutes.

erroneous patch I realized I had changed the driver when upgrading the
kernel to 2.6.14.

What does 2.6.14 have to do with it? The ppp problem appeared exactly with *2.6.16*. It looks like it will also be in 2.6.17 because nobody is stepping on the brake :/. All this with code that had worked perfectly fine for ages. I'm getting a bit frustrated here.

Well, I might try disabling the onboard e1000 and replacing it with a "good" old Realtek.

Regards, Nuri