On 08/25/2016 12:49 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Thu, 2016-08-25 at 12:23 -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
A simpler approach is provided with this patch.  With it we disable XPS any
time a socket is not present for a given flow.  By doing this we can avoid
using XPS for any routing or bridging situations in which XPS is likely
more of a hinderance than a help.

Yes, but this will destroy isolation for people properly doing VM cpu
pining.

Why not simply stop enabling XPS by default. Treat it like RPS and RFS (unless I've missed a patch...). The people who are already doing the extra steps to pin VMs can enable XPS in that case. It isn't clear that one should always pin VMs - for example if a (public) cloud needed to oversubscribe the cores.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones