On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 10:46:38AM -0700, Tom Herbert wrote:
[...]
> Brenden, tracking down how the structure is freed needed a few steps,
> please make sure the RCU requirements are well documented. Also, I'm
Really? It's just bpf_prog_put->call_rcu(__bpf_prog_put_rcu). I suppose
what's missing is a general guideline for which functions new consumers
of bpf should use, but I wouldn't trust myself to write such holistic
documentation accurately (e.g. interacting with nmi probes and such).
> still not a fan of using xchg to set the program, seems that a lock
> could be used in that path.
Where would such a lock go? Everything in mlx4/en_netdev.c relies on
rtnl, which seems sufficient and obvious...adding some new field
specific lock would be distracting and unneeded.