On 09/09/2016 01:51 AM, D. Herrendoerfer wrote:
>> just like neighbor table modifications, it should be possible to listen for
>> events with netlink. Doing it through uevent is the wrong model.
>
> I agree partially - but consider:
> we plug hardware - we get an event
> we remove hardware - we get an event
> we add a virtual interface - we get an event
> we add a bridge - event
> we add an interface to that bridge - event
> a kvm guest starts using the interface on that bridge - we need to monitor
> netlink, poll brforward, capture traffic

Yes, because now there is network activity going on, so why not ask the
networking stack to get these events?

> It seems inconsistent, bridge is already emitting events.

It does not seem particularly inconsistent, all networking events are
already emitted using rt netlink, why should bridge be different here?
(Yes, uevent is netlink too, just a special family).

--
Florian