> > The question I rose was whether it actually makes a difference under
> > such circumstances whether the device would actually filter those
> > multicast addresses or be completely multicast promiscuous.
> > e.g., whether it's significant to be filtering out multicast ingress
> > traffic when you're already allowing 1/2 of all random multicast
> > packets to be classified for the interface.
> >

> Agreed, I think this is the more interesting question here. I thought that we
> would want to make sure we are using most of the bins before falling back to
> multicast ingress. The reason being that even if its more expensive for the
> NIC to
> do the filtering than the multicast mode, it would be more than made up for by
> having to drop the traffic higher up the stack. So I think if we can
> determine the
> percent of the bins that we want to use, we can then back into the average
> number of filters required to get there. As I said, I thought we would want to
> make sure we filled basically all the bins (with a high probability that is)
> before
> falling back to multicast, and so I threw out 2,048.

AFAIK configuring multiple filters doesn't incur any performance penalty
from the adapter side.
And I agree that from 'offloading' perspective it's probably better to
filter in HW even if the gain is negligible.
So for the upper limit - there's not much of a reason to it; The only gain
would be to prevent driver from allocating lots-and-lots of memory
temporarily for an unnecessary configuration.