Paul Moore wrote:
James Morris wrote:
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Paul Moore wrote:
This patch introduces a new kernel feature designed to support labeled
networking protocols such as RIPSO and CIPSO.  These protocols are required to
interoperate with existing "trusted" operating systems such as Trusted
Solaris.
A few initial comments.

- Did you decide that you definitely need to verify labels on fragments? I can see the code's been added to do that, but wonder about a comment made during earlier discussion that mislabeled fragments could only come from a misbehaving trusted system. What is the threat model here?

This is one part of the patch that I really don't have a strong feeling
for either way.  There was some concern on the LSM list that not
checking the fragment options might be an issue so I added some code to
check the fragment options.  Personally I think we are probably okay
without it as the un-autenticated/un-verified nature of these labeling
protocols more or less requires either a trusted network/hosts.

If the community decides that this check is not required then I can
simply drop all of the changes in ip_fragment.c.

If you state you are labeling session packets (tcp or udp), that would lead one to believe all packets are labeled (including fragments). Based on our past evaluations I don't think non-labeled fragments would make it through an evaluation if CIPSO/RIPSO were part of the TOE/security Target.

- Can you explain how module loading and module refcounting for these modules work? (e.g. what causes netlabel_cipso_v4 to be loaded, is it always safe to unload if the refcount is zero?)

--
Thanks,
Mike

Mikel L. Matthews