Hi,

Seems that instead of clearing the confusion I was confused myself.
What we are talking about here is the protocol ID carried in the ethernet header, which ethernet uses to identify the network layer (as defined in the file <linux/if_ether.h>).
So its indeed IEEE to address for this, and not IANA.

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Herman.

Herman Elfrink wrote:

An attempt to clear up the confusion that seems to have occurred:
FLAME is an intermediate layer between existing MAC and network (IP) layers. From MAC layer point of view FLAME is another network layer protocol (besides IP, IPX etc.), so the FLAME protocol ID we are taking about is a network layer (IANA) protocol number. From IP point of view FLAME behaves like a 'normal' ethernet-type MAC layer; no need for new IEEE protocol number.

Regards,

Herman Elfrink.