On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:58:27PM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> Anand Kumria wrote:
> >Herbert,

> >>I think we've made it quite clear what needs to be done for it to be
> >>accepted.  All that remains is for someone to implement it.  If anyone
> >>really cares about this, then please write the code instead of talking
> >>about it.
> >

> >Okay, to confirm: you want a patch which looks at the scope value and if
> >the scope is link-local then we broadcast rather than do a directed ARP?
> >

> I don't think that was the plan.  In an earlier e-mail Herbert Xu said
> (and I concur):
>
> ------------------------------
> I like the idea of allowing user-space to control what addresses cause
> broadcasts.  However, I'm uncomfortable with overloading existing flags
> even though they might appear to fit the bill on the face of it.

[...]

Sorry, I can't find any email with any of those words in it by Herbert.
Could you tell me the message-id, so I can read some of the surrounding
context?

> The idea was to add a new flag, *not* reuse the scope value.

I guess it would be something set during RTM_NEWADDR (and returned by
RTM_GETADDR?). How does IFA_DIRECTEDARP sound? With a value type of int;
defaulting to 1.  When set to 0, generate a broadcast ARP for the
address.

Thanks,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are