On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:43:04AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> (CC'ing our newly minted tulip maintainer, Val)

Excellent!
Has MAINTAINERS file been updated? :)

> NAK.  This is a band-aid, and one that creates new problems even as it
> attempts to solve problems.

You failed to demonstrate that below. Any other objections?

> Calling free_irq() while the chip is still active is just a bad idea,
> because the chip could raise an interrupt, creating a
> screaming-interrupts situation. Consider especially the case of shared
> interrupts here, as a concrete example of how this won't work.

The chip IRQ gets turned off in tulip_down().
It won't be screaming for very long.
No one will hear it screaming and no one will care.
The decision to bring down the NIC was already made.

Secondly, if tulip has a problem with shared IRQs, it's already there.
We would have called free_irq() anyway - just a bit later.
In the shared IRQ case, I expect free_irq() to unlink this instance
of the tulip interrupt handler from the CPU vector list. If that
doesn't happen, I could consider that an arch specific bug,
not a tulip driver bug.

> Perhaps cp_close() in 8139cp.c could be an example of a good ordering?
> It stops the chip, syncs irqs, frees irq, then frees [thus unmapping]
> the rings.

Sorry, I don't see how it matters if we disable chip IRQ first
or unlink from CPU IRQ list first. Does it?

thanks,
grant