On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 03:26:29PM -0800, Vishwanathapura, Niranjana wrote:

> I did not see any example IB mad agent outside drivers/inifiniband
> folder.

You can be the first.

> I did see some netdev drivers outside the net/ folder (like ipoib and
> drivers/infiniband/hw/nes/).

It is very rare, and arguably ipoib was a mistake..

> The hfi_vnic Ethernet driver is entirely a soft driver without any HW access.
> Also, any interface changes between hfi_vnic and the HFI driver makes it
> difficult to manage if they are under two subsystems/maintainers.

We manage this already for all the rocee drivers that are based on
netdev drivers, you will be fine.

> We have 'rdmavt' and 'soft-roce' drivers under drivers/infiniband/sw/ folder
> which are soft drivers similar to hfi_vnic. So we decided to put
> 'hif_vnic'

As I said those are HCA drivers & support, not just random 'software'.

> >>The hfi_vnic_bus is only abstracting the HW independent functionality (like
> >>Ethernet interface, encapsulation, IB MAD interface etc) with the HW
> >>dependent functionality (sending/receiving packets on the wire).
> >>Thus providing a cleaner interface between HW independent hfi_vnic Ethernet
> >>and Control drivers and the HW dependent HFI1 driver.
> >
> >That doesn't explain anything, sound like you don't need it so get rid
> >of it.

> >>There is no other User interface here other than the standard Ethernet
> >>interface through network stack.
> >
> >Good, then this isn't needed, because it doesn't provide a user interface.
> >

> Can you explain what exactly you are asking to get rid of here and why?

Get rid of the bus_register/etc as drivers do not get to call this.

Jason