On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:11:54PM -0700, Don Fry wrote:
> This patch is a collection of changes to pcnet32 which does the
> following:
>
> - Fix section mismatch warning.
> - fix set_ringparam to correctly handle memory allocation failures
> - fix off-by-one in get_ringparam.
> - cleanup at end of loopback_test when not up.
> - Add NAPI to driver, fixing set_ringparam and loopback_test to work
>   correctly with poll.
> - for multicast, do not reset the chip unless cannot enter suspend mode
>   to avoid race with poll.
>
> The set_ringparam code is larger than I would prefer, but it will not
> leave null pointers around for the code to stumble over when memory
> allocation fails.  If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.
>
> Some complexity could be avoided by allocating memory for the maximum
> number of tx and rx buffers at probe time.  Requiring 14k for the tx
> ring and arrays, and another 14k for rx; instead of about 10k total for
> the default sizes.

So 28k vs 10k?  Why are these adjustable if it makes that little
difference?  Is there any advantage to making them smaller?

> It is NAPI only, unlike Len Sorensen's version which allows for compile
> time selection.  Some drivers are NAPI only, others have compile
> options.  Which is preferred?

I just figured making it an option was less intrusive, although I can't
imagine a good reason for not wanting to use the NAPI version at all
times.  I certainly know I intend to use it that way.

> I have tested these changes with a 79C971, 973, 976, and 978 on a ppc64
> machine, and 970A, 972, 973, 975, and 976 on an x86 machine.
>
> I have not tested these changes with VMware or Xen.

I will give it a try with our system and see how it runs.

Len Sorensen