On Mon, 2006-19-06 at 18:37 -0400, Shailabh Nagar wrote:

> Completing the documentation on generic netlink usage will definitely be
> useful. I'd be happy to help out with this since I've recently gone through
> trying to understand and use genetlink for the taskstats interface. Hopefully
> this will help other users like me who aren't netlink experts to begin with !

Thanks - I really appreciate it.

> I've sent you a patch to the document that attempts to cover the following
> TODOS (didn't see any point sending it to the whole list since its harder to
> read patches to documentation). Pls use as you see fit.

Ive received it and will respond to you privately.

> > TODO:
> > a) Add a more complete compiling kernel module with events.
> > Have Thomas put his Mashimaro example and point to it.
> (not the Mashimaro example, nor a completly compiled module but snippets
> of pseudo code taken from the user space program used in taskstats
> development,
> modified to the foobar example you've used)

Thomas had a more complete piece of code which exercised more paths.
The document just has to point to where that code is.

> > b) Describe some details on how user space -> kernel works
> > probably using libnl??
> > c) Describe discovery using the controller..
>
> I'll provide another patch that will cover d) and e) in the set below, again
> in the context of the foobar example, which might need to be modified a bit.

no problem. go nuts.

> > d) talk about policies etc
> > e) talk about how something coming from user space eventually
> > gets to you.
> > f) Talk about the TLV manipulation stuff from Thomas.
> > g) submit controller patch to iproute2
>
> One point...does d), f) etc. belong in a separate doc describing usage
> of netlink attributes ? Its useful here too but not directly related to
> genetlink perhaps.

My thought was to provide a one-stop shop; however,
it may be a separate doc or incorporated in this and referenced by it.

> > PS:- I dont have a good place to put this doc and point to, hence the
> > 17K attachment
> >

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hadi/ ?
>
> (unless your permissions have been revoked for lack of use ! :-)

I am only allowed to put kernel patches there by the powers that be. So
this wont fit the criteria. It is hard to believe in these
times my ISP charges me $1/M/month every time i exceed my allocated 5M
quota. I have been with this ISP for > 10 years, hence migration gets
harder - and given that many years on the same account, even my .bashrc
approaches 5M ;->

cheers,
jamal