On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Josef Bacik <jba...@fb.com> wrote:
 On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Josef Bacik <jba...@fb.com> wrote:

 On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Josef Bacik <jba...@fb.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Hannes Frederic Sowa
 <han...@stressinduktion.org> wrote:

 Hi Josef,

 On 15.12.2016 19:53, Josef Bacik wrote:

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com>
 wrote:

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Craig Gallek <kraigatg...@gmail.com>
  wrote:

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com>
  wrote:

I think there may be some suspicious code in inet_csk_get_port. At
   tb_found there is:

                   if (((tb->fastreuse > 0 && reuse) ||
                        (tb->fastreuseport > 0 &&
!rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) && sk->sk_reuseport && uid_eq(tb->fastuid,
  uid))) &&
                       smallest_size == -1)
                           goto success;
if (inet_csk(sk)->icsk_af_ops->bind_conflict(sk,
  tb, true)) {
                           if ((reuse ||
                                (tb->fastreuseport > 0 &&
                                 sk->sk_reuseport &&

  !rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) &&
                                 uid_eq(tb->fastuid, uid))) &&
smallest_size != -1 && --attempts >=
 0) {
spin_unlock_bh(&head->lock);
                                   goto again;
                           }
                           goto fail_unlock;
                   }

AFAICT there is redundancy in these two conditionals. The same
 clause
   is being checked in both: (tb->fastreuseport > 0 &&
!rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) && sk->sk_reuseport && uid_eq(tb->fastuid, uid))) && smallest_size == -1. If this is true
 the
first conditional should be hit, goto done, and the second will
 never
evaluate that part to true-- unless the sk is changed (do we need
   READ_ONCE for sk->sk_reuseport_cb?).

That's an interesting point... It looks like this function also
   changed in 4.6 from using a single local_bh_disable() at the
 beginning
   with several spin_lock(&head->lock) to exclusively
spin_lock_bh(&head->lock) at each locking point. Perhaps the full
 bh
disable variant was preventing the timers in your stack trace from
   running interleaved with this function before?

Could be, although dropping the lock shouldn't be able to affect the
  search state. TBH, I'm a little lost in reading function, the
  SO_REUSEPORT handling is pretty complicated. For instance,
rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) is checked three times in
 that
function and also in every call to inet_csk_bind_conflict. I wonder
 if
we can simply this under the assumption that SO_REUSEPORT is only
  allowed if the port number (snum) is explicitly specified.

Ok first I have data for you Hannes, here's the time distributions before during and after the lockup (with all the debugging in place
 the
box eventually recovers). I've attached it as a text file since it is
  long.

 Thanks a lot!

Second is I was thinking about why we would spend so much time doing
 the
->owners list, and obviously it's because of the massive amount of timewait sockets on the owners list. I wrote the following dumb patch and tested it and the problem has disappeared completely. Now I don't know if this is right at all, but I thought it was weird we weren't copying the soreuseport option from the original socket onto the twsk. Is there are reason we aren't doing this currently? Does this help
  explain what is happening?  Thanks,

The patch is interesting and a good clue, but I am immediately a bit concerned that we don't copy/tag the socket with the uid also to keep the security properties for SO_REUSEPORT. I have to think a bit more
 about this.

We have seen hangs during connect. I am afraid this patch wouldn't help
 there while also guaranteeing uniqueness.

Yeah so I looked at the code some more and actually my patch is really bad. If sk2->sk_reuseport is set we'll look at sk2->sk_reuseport_cb, which
 is outside of the timewait sock, so that's definitely bad.

 But we should at least be setting it to 0 so that we don't do this
normally. Unfortunately simply setting it to 0 doesn't fix the problem. So for some reason having ->sk_reuseport set to 1 on a timewait socket makes
 this problem non-existent, which is strange.

So back to the drawing board I guess. I wonder if doing what craig suggested and batching the timewait timer expires so it hurts less would
 accomplish the same results.  Thanks,

Wait no I lied, we access the sk->sk_reuseport_cb, not sk2's. This is the
 code

                        if ((!reuse || !sk2->sk_reuse ||
                            sk2->sk_state == TCP_LISTEN) &&
                            (!reuseport || !sk2->sk_reuseport ||
rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) ||
                             (sk2->sk_state != TCP_TIME_WAIT &&
                             !uid_eq(uid, sock_i_uid(sk2))))) {

if (!sk2->sk_rcv_saddr || !sk->sk_rcv_saddr
sk2->sk_rcv_saddr == sk->sk_rcv_saddr)
                                        break;
                        }

so in my patches case we now have reuseport == 1, sk2->sk_reuseport == 1. But now we are using reuseport, so sk->sk_reuseport_cb should be non-NULL right? So really setting the timewait sock's sk_reuseport should have no
 bearing on how this loop plays out right?  Thanks,

 So more messing around and I noticed that we basically don't do the
tb->fastreuseport logic at all if we've ended up with a non SO_REUSEPORT socket on that tb. So before I fully understood what I was doing I fixed it so that after we go through ->bind_conflict() once with a SO_REUSEPORT socket, we reset tb->fastreuseport to 1 and set the uid to match the uid of the socket. This made the problem go away. Tom pointed out that if we bind to the same port on a different address and we have a non SO_REUSEPORT socket with the same address on this tb then we'd be screwed with my code.

Which brings me to his proposed solution. We need another hash table that is indexed based on the binding address. Then each node corresponds to one address/port binding, with non-SO_REUSEPORT entries having only one entry, and normal SO_REUSEPORT entries having many. This cleans up the need to search all the possible sockets on any given tb, we just go and look at the
 one we care about.  Does this make sense?  Thanks,

Hi Josef,

Thinking about it some more the hash table won't work because of the
rules of binding different addresses to the same port. What I think we
can do is to change inet_bind_bucket to be structure that contains all
the information used to detect conflicts (reuse*, if, address, uid,
etc.) and a list of sockets that share that exact same information--
for instance all socket in timewait state create through some listener
socket should wind up on single bucket. When we do the bind_conflict
function we only should have to walk this buckets, not the full list
of sockets.

Thoughts on this?

This sounds good, maybe tb->owners be a list of say

struct inet_unique_shit {
        struct sock_common sk;
        struct hlist socks;
};

Then we make inet_unique_shit like twsks', just copy the relevant information, then hang the real sockets off of the socks hlist. Something like that? Thanks,

Josef